Monday, June 25, 2012

day 338

TO a butterfly losing his wings:

Some moths never eat anything as adults because they don't have mouths. They must live on the energy they stored as caterpillars.

You have a mouth
Lack of appetite can confuse broken stomachs and
empty lungs
but I know you taste air with your toes
You always have
Playing footsies with lovers you confuse for fixed appetites
and I'll worry about her tomorrow
and I'll worry about her tomorrow
and I'll worry about 
being hungry
and I'll worry about confusing moths for
butterflies
and I'll worry about her tomorrow

And you will breathe
and call me crazy
but it's only because I live off of the air you refuse to fly in

I watched you fly over words that made you feel like dying
Watched them slice you
Watched as you dodge hail like bullets
Watched you dance to lyrics you haven't thought of yet
Watched and watched and
watched as you crashed into sinking ghost ships

Moths refuse to fly when they are cold
while butterflies just fly to their death beds

I remember the first time we made love
I am sure I got rid of my still born cocoon
We sipped on black coffee and I tapped my fingertips
on you until our souls grew stale

We loved to free the demons that have been sailing on
ghost ships inside of us

Some nights the moths of your past still haunt me
They come in gangs of shadow puppets
hiding in my closet
Like clothing myself is a way of protection

And we got close
And you came closer
close enough for me to reach
and stroke your body like an 
upright bass
until the symphony orchestra playing for ghost bodies turned
stale with bad notes
I played harp for you

I didn't think I would pluck your wings off like
inspiration spiraling into brick heads
We were always meant to open up like butterflies
Together.

There are nights I lay with you
and I wonder what stopped you from flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment