Tuesday, July 26, 2011

day 2


Open letters to the cities I love: Part 2

To Seattle-
You've left me sleepless
Exchanged quick breaths for helium lungs
I choke at an effort to speak to you
Ask you what your name is
I cringe
pathetic excuse for a three second conversation

The movement of jaws unhinging 
and tongues dancing in the secrecy of our own heads
Makes me wonder what runs through your thoughts
Makes me wonder what runs your thoughts
Discover what words you associate with my being
What color is your balloon heart when you see me?

Sew velcro eyelids to lash lines
Force magnetic sleep cycles into muscle memory

Open letter to Seattle-
my soul won't rest
I cannot get my mind to stop racing around your city block breaths
Pupils play muscle memory against dreams
REM cycles bicycle through city block wants

Want 1
The handshake
The closest thing I've gotten to feeling your touch
Gentle, sweet,
five fingers left me without logic

Want 2
Introduction
The first time the butterflies bicycled through helium lungs
They landed on my balloon heart
It's colored sleepless
They run my thoughts now

Want 3
I want to know what scares you

Want 4
Where do butterflies bicycle to when the city blocks are unfamiliar?

Want 5
What color is your balloon heart when you think of me?

Want 6
Don't forget to put up a detour sign
drag me by magnetic force
Teach me how to turn the release of helium in my lungs
into muscle memory

Open letter to Seattle-
How does your tongue dance while in the secrecy of your thoughts?
The butterflies ignored the detour
and bicycling made me tired
I have so much helium in my lungs
it makes me too nervous to speak
Open letter to Henry Luke-
Is sleepless a color?

No comments:

Post a Comment