Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Letters N and D




It is 19 degrees outside
Chance of precipitation is 100 percent snow
It falls softly

Like the way your hair falls atop your HEAD
Like the way my ears make out the pinks and the REDS in the
Golden dialects of love in your tone

And for once on this stupid holiday, I am not alone

But better yet I’d like to rearrange the days

Switch Saint Valentine and put him in Saint Nick’s place because
Everyday with you has been like Christmas
At the beach
Because in the 19 degree weather,
The months have accumulated and formed the sun
The rays of warmth have soaked into my skin
And the dance of the butterflies have begun

Chemically speaking we have chemistry

Because our lips react the way a magnet does to steel and
Every kiss sends chills to my heart causing it to
Carve “L’amour” against its skin
Beating its fist against its cage like
A French revolt like
Everything’s in black and white like
All I feel is
Love

And I love
When we run out of things to say and
Small talk gets awkward like
“There’s a big elephant in the room” but there really isn’t
It’s just a little white lie,
an ivory excuse to keep you around even longer
And to keep the distance short and simple because
Simple enough, I don’t want to be too far from you.

I don’t want Point E to be half way across the map from Point Me and
Even though I know that somehow we’d somehow find each other within the next
Rest stop and coffee run because my
Tongue sometimes gets nervous
And it slips back behind my teeth and I’m
Back at Point A with nothing to say but
“Fuck this!” because I HATE
When our eyes meet for the very last time and I’m forced to say
Goodbye

Even though it’s not really a goodbye
It’s a see ya later and I’ll call you in five minutes
And if you don’t pick up I know it’s because
You tried calling me at the same time

It used to be 19 degrees outside and all I’d see was white
Now
Its 19 degrees outside but all I see is the pink plus red equation
Where you graph Point N next to Point D because
I’m too cheap to hire a seamstress to stitch it to my heart but it still reminds me of how much I
love every fiber of your being

All the tiny invisible vessels underneath your skin
And every visible vein in your arm reminds me that

The love of my life is not just a figment of my imagination
Instead
He’s met my all of my expectations

I know I don’t expect MUCH but
Being ENOUGH and beyond makes every hello that much better
And every goodbye that much worse

I don’t know where I’d be without the letters
N and D
But I’m glad I know where I’m going because it is
19 degrees outside
Chance of precipitation is 100 percent snow
It falls softly

Like the way our fingers get tangled together so easily
Every nerve bending
Wrapping around the opposite
Cells squishing to fit
Fighting to breathe
Muscles contracting
Muscles constricting
Like the way the lines on our own hands should tell us how long we should love each other
Like the way I hate how we both have long fingers and twice as long arms but our
Short tongues constrict us from reaching forever

It falls softly

Like the way my eyes visualize you in your state of sleep
Your soft snores traveling from Point E to Point Me through a stupid telephone

It falls softly

Like the way the
Letters N and D bond so sweetly
Like the way I
Fell in love with you

It is 19 degrees outside
Chance of precipitation is 100 percent snow
It falls softly

No comments:

Post a Comment