Saturday, August 20, 2011

day 27

"hope"

we live in this river city
and it floods sometimes
but there are mattresses in our canals
to remind us that we can sleep anywhere
there are water proof post it notes
singing waves
and open armed currents

i've been swimming in my best friend’s tears
long enough to believe that i've grown underwater wings
and she’s grown into a  mermaid
crystal shimmers and
pretty sequins
we’ve both grown gills to breathe in each other’s cries

lately
her cries could be heard
1150 miles away
inside the crashing tidal waves
of Florida

she’s had her eyes set on Miami park benches
and free bird balconies since we were 12
she would live in the sand
open handed hugging warmth
something New England couldn't give her

and for six years,
we’ve sat on dark alley cat porches
Catching lightning bugs with our tongues
I would aim to fly as tall as her
just to flick away her teary whispers

we would cry together
in the night on empty basketball court floors
theres something about hearing dew drops grow
on open mouthed tulips
that makes you want to cry
and i would hold her hand
not because i love her
but because i love her
and i would bite my tongue
from saying what her love means to me
it is growth
and we are still growing
and i still wish to be as tall as her
to catch her morning growing dew drops with my tongue
she is a rose
in a field of baby breaths
we've been taking baby steps since
we were 12
when she first had her heart broken
and i still clench my fists around her heart
every time he manages to break her ribcage open

my underwater wings have gotten used to
open armed swimming in her
crashing waves of heart break

lena

I will always be a short swim away
In our dirty town canal systems
But there will always be dirt soaked mattresses
In the bottom of your screams
Its okay to want to cry
But its been 6 years and your heartbreak will cause tsunamis
In the midst of growing tulips
They are open mouthed and full of warmth
I will pick them for you
Plant them in an underwater casket
We will all grow breathless together
But full of baby breath park benches

Do you remember
The time we were 12
And we spent half a day discussing dreams
You’ve always wanted to be a teacher
But I never thought that id be here
6 years later
telling you that
you can live on the coast
even if you live in the sahara desert
there are tears worth remembering
and there are tears that just force you to drown
hes been growing with us
but you’ve been carrying leeches on your back
giving your blood away like you only need water in your gills to live
I swore
That I would always bite my tongue
And never let you hear my realities
But there is a free bird
Sitting on a sun warmed balcony
1150 miles away
It is singing to the mermaids
That are crying over lost shimmering leg bones

lena

I know
That you’re already used to your mermaid tail
so if you have forgotten how to walk
you still have hands for me to hold

No comments:

Post a Comment